Changes in 5.0.3 (v126.203)
|May 23, 2021
- Please note:
- direct 4 licenses that have been created before 2019-01-01 are not valid for direct 5.
- If you have an older license, you will need to purchase an update license or keep using direct 4.5.
IP Phone connections
- Fixed a potential compatibility problem with some Yealink phones. (#11763)
- A few minor improvements. (#11765, #11769, #11770)
Changes in 5.0.2 (v126.202)
|May 19, 2021
IP Phone connections
- For testing purposes, IP Phone connections can now be created without having a software license. (#11759)
Changes in 5.0.1 (v126.201)
|May 18, 2021
- Added support for macOS Big Sur (11.0). (#11482, #11496, #11510)
- Added native support for Macs with Apple Silicon. (#11496)
- The macOS releases Yosemite (10.10) and El Capitan (10.11) are no longer supported. (#11494)
direct 4.5.1 is the last release to support those macOS releases.
- Added support for the UI dark mode. (#10411)
IP Phone connections
- IP Phone connections are now officially supported. (#11418)
- Added support of Yealink T4 and T5 series phones with firmware version 86. (#11715)
- Fixed a regression of release 4.5 that caused a glitch in the software update preferences GUI when the system profile details table was expanded/collapsed. (#7128)
- Fixed a second potential glitch in the software update preferences GUI where the GUI elements where stretched/condensed for a moment while the system profile details were expanded/collapsed. (#10415)
- Fixed a bug that prevented the display of connection settings when one of the connection names was empty. In addition, it is no longer for a connection to have an empty name. (#11704)
- A number of minor bug fixes. (including #11511, #11513, #11518, #11525)
- Added a GUI for activating and deactivating debug logging. (#9573)
- Renamed the addresses preferences to contact preferences. (#11431)
- Minor GUI changes in the dial window to better support macOS Big Sur. (#11483)
- The dial window GUI was changed so that the redial list now expands downwards, not upwards. (#11484)
- Improved the direct help pages. (#11521, #11522)
- A number of minor improvements. (including #10995, #11437, #11443, #11445, #11497, #11499, #11751, #11753, #11754, #11755)
Changes in 4.5.1 (v126.148)
|February 28, 2021
Changes in 4.5 (v126.147)
|November 9, 2020
- The macOS releases Lion (10.7), Mountain Lion (10.8), and Mavericks (10.9) are no longer supported. (#11421)
direct 4.4.5 is the last release to support those macOS releases.
Changes in 4.4.5 (v126.146)
|July 24, 2020
- Enabled direct to use AppleScript files for call handling that send Apple Events to 'System Events'. Before this change, calling such an AppleScript led to an error message. Now, the user will be asked to grant (or deny) permission.
The first change for this issue in direct 4.4.4 was not sufficient, this second change should make it work now. (#11283)
- Removed superfluous double slash from the beginning of phone numbers that are being dialed from Outlook via a click on the phone icon. (#11378)
Changes in 4.4.4 (v126.145)
|June 29, 2020
- Fixed a bug that could have caused the application to crash if specific debug values were set. (#11097)
Changes in 4.4.2 (v126.143)
|December 9, 2019
- The (long obsolete) Growl framework to send notifications outside of the macOS Notification Center is not longer supported. (#11050)
direct 4.3.8 is the last release to support Growl.
- Fixed a regression of release 4.4 that prevented the names and remote call states from being displayed in the Local Users window. (#11044)
- Fixed a regression of release 4.4 that prevented the app from being able to access the macOS contacts on macOS 10.15.1. (#11048)
Changes in 4.4.1 (v126.142)
|November 29, 2019
- Fixed a regression of release 4.4 that prevented LDAP search from working and that caused the application to crash on recent macOS releases when LDAP search was activated. (#11033)
- Fixed a regression of release 4.4 in the Contacts plugins that caused the Contacts app to crash on macOS releases up to 10.13. (#11034)
Changes in 4.4 (v126.141)
|November 18, 2019
- The macOS releases Tiger (10.4), Leopard (10.5), and Snow Leopard (10.6) are no longer supported. (#10995)
direct 4.3.8 is the last release to support those macOS releases.
Changes in 4.3.8 (v126.138)
|July 15, 2019
Changes in 4.3.6 (v126.136)
|September 28, 2018
- Fixed a bug where the remote party's phone number was not published via Bonjour if the configuration was set to do so. (#10336)
- Fixed a bug in the english language user interface that caused one of the Bonjour settings checkboxes in the call handling preferences to remain active when it should have been disabled. (#10400)
- Fixed a bug where changes to the special connection preferences (which are not visible by default) were not saved when a different connection was selected before the preferences window was closed. (#10053)
- Fixed a bug that caused a broken user interface in the call handling preferences under specific circumstances. (#10246)
- Fixed a bug that could have prevented connection configuration changes from being saved when the preferences window was closed. (#10286)
- Fixed a bug where the initial values displayed in the advanced connection preferences were erroneously taken from the last connection in the list instead of from the selected connection. (#10294)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused the connection list in the connection preferences not to be updated in certain cases.
- Fixed a bug in the german language localization of the software update that caused the automatic update panel's headline to be cut off. (#10299)
- Fixed a bug in automatic update panel where the version of the existing app was displayed as the version of the downloaded app. (#10300)
- Fixed a bug with Tiptel connections where a minor update OS update from the base version (e.g. from 10.13 to 10.13.1) was erroneously being treated as a major OS version update. (#10054)
- Fixed a regression of release 4.1.5 that caused direct to ship without the acknowledgements page. (#10412)
- Adapted the internal structure of the direct help pages to react to increased security restrictions of the macOS help viewer. This causes the help pages to once again be displayed in full in recent macOS releases. (#10413)
- Prevented a Gatekeeper warning that appeared for direct upon initial installation since a recent macOS security update. (#10433)
- Added display of the list of supported URI types to the call handling preferences window. (#10237)
- The open/closed state of the status panel is now persistent across application launches. (#10254)
- Made the headlines of the software update panel selectable. (#10301)
- Improved internal safeguarding against potential problems.
- Improved debug logging.
Changes in 4.3.1 (v126.131) [not publicly released]
|October 25, 2017
- Fixed a regression of release 4.3.0 that caused direct to crash upon application start for specific customers with a special configuration. (#9784)
- Fixed wrong version number (4.2 -> 4.3) in four locations of the help pages.
Changes in 4.3 (v126.130)
|October 20, 2017
macOS High Sierra
- direct now fully supports macOS High Sierra.
- Added optional support for sites where the dialed number of all outbound calls need to include the country code (not just the international calls). This is the case for some Swisscom customers in Switzerland. Activation of this feature requires support from ilink as this is not exposed in the preferences user interface. (#9710)
- direct now writes log files instead of logging to the console. One log file per application start is written to
~/Library/Logs/ilink/direct/. Up to five log files are retained for seven days. (#9445, #9446)
- Added a help menu item to open a Finder window with the log folder. (#9465)
- A minimum log level is now active by default, so that at least basic information is available in the log in case of an error (previously, no logging was active by default at all). (#9467)
- Fixed a bug that led to application crashes upon startup on some computers. (#9568)
- Fixed a bug that could have led to the "new connection" panel's list of connection plugins being empty. The likelihood of this happening seems to have increased in macOS High Sierra compared to earlier macOS releases. (#9707)
- Fixed four bugs that occasionally worked together to cause the connection preferences' list of connections being empty even if connections had been configured. (#9720)
- Fixed a bug that could have prevented the buttons to add and remove connections from being visible. This only happened to some users on macOS High Sierra. (#9568)
- Fixed a bug that could have prevented direct from being able to access the user's contacts. This only happened to some users on macOS High Sierra. (#9569)
- Fixed a rare bug that could potentially have led to multi-minute hangers during startup in unusual network configurations. (#5036)
- Fixed a bug that occasionally prevented a screen popup from being shown for incoming calls with blocked caller ID. (#8382)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused warning messages to be written to the log. (#9492)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused the reaction to incoming calls on a TeamCall connection to be delayed or possibly even skipped. (#9728)
- Fixed a bug that could have multiple parallel connection attempts to be made if the connection to the CTI server or to the phone was not stable. This typically led to a number of followup problems. (#9729)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused the Tiptel advanced preferences to not be fully displayed so that the slow dialing checkbox was not visible. (#9770)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused the LDAP password not to be saved under specific conditions.
- Changed the Daylite integration script (in direct Extras) to no longer pause iTunes upon incoming calls. (This caused problems for users who had never even once started iTunes). (#9590)
- Updated FileMaker example database
FileMakerPro12-Demo.zip/Contacts.fmp12 (in direct Extras). Added access rights (
fmextscriptaccess) to allow AppleScripts to execute FileMaker commands. Thanks to Torsten Höner (MIX-Verlags-GmbH). (#9682)
- direct is now a 64 bit application. (#9490)
- Added an application verification test that prevents the application from starting if the Info.plist data is missing. (#9574)
- Removed superfluous line breaks at the end of STLI logs (for TeamCall connections). (#9728)
- Minor updates to the direct help pages. (#9731, #9732, #9733, #9764, #9776)
- Updated disk image background to use macOS instead of OS X. (#8972)
- A number of minor improvements. (including #8742, #8966, #9141, #9463, #9466)
- Updated debug output. (#8382, #9447, #9467, #9500, #9765)
Changes in 4.2.1 (v126.129)
|October 24, 2016
- Failed dial attempts will now be added to the redial list as well in order to make it easier to try again after the problem is fixed. (#7931)
- Added support for dialing from Firefox 48 which no longer supports our previous dialing service definition. (#8959)
- A new indicator in the lower right corner of the dial window shows that the search is still going on. (#5002)
- Searching for user input in the macOS contacts will now also search in the middle name, title, and suffix fields. (#5006, #8902)
- Added support for the "Other Fax" contact phone number type (i.e. a reasonable description is displayed for these numbers). (#7043)
- Prevented reconnect attempts after certain connection errors that seem to be due to a configuration problem. Also, an alert panel will be opened in such a case to inform the user. (#7974)
- Added a notice about the direct web site's USB page and (potentially) a warning about a driver update after OS upgrades to the Tiptel advanced settings. (#6454)
- Added advanced preference option to allow dialing of
# characters. (#6499)
- Various preferences UI items will now be updated after changes have been made outside of the application: list of dock menu address groups, list of AppleScript files, and lists of default applications to handle the various URL types. An application restart is no longer required after such changes have been made. (#5113, #6163)
- Changes in debug log settings via command line no longer require an application restart to become active. (#6161)
- Improved debug log output. (#6454, #6646, #8955, and others)
- Added help menu item to open the release notes page. (#6920)
- Added description of the AppleScript
HangUp command to the direct help pages. (#7127)
- Added a Daylite integration script to the direct Extras. (#8587)
- The software update now uses https to improve the security and prevent potential man in the middle attacks. (#8747)
- Attempts to dial while a call is going on will now always cause a warning message to be logged.
- Calling a non-existing AppleScript handler in a user configured script will no longer print error messages into the log. (#6376)
incoming handler of a configured AppleScript will now always be called before the script's
contactFound handler. (#7052)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused TeamCall connections to not adapt to certain configuration changes without an application restart. (#5012)
- Prevented a bug where direct failed to recognize that a call had ended while the computer was asleep. (#8482)
- Fixed a bug in the timing of repeated reconnect attempts of disconnected telephone connections. (#8726)
- Fixed a bug that could cause a non-active connection to erroneously be set as the default connection. (#8944)
Other bug fixes
- Fixed a bug that could cause a crash during software update if direct's internal components are corrupted. (#8723)
- Fixed a problem that could cause Facetime to be called instead of direct when
tel: URLs were clicked on macOS 10.11 or later. New user interface elements were added to the preferences to set the default applications for such URLs (
direct:) if multiple applications are able to handle them. (#8754)
- Fixed a regression of direct 4.0 beta 25 that caused the software update to log a warning about attempts to set a (null) instance as date. (#8932)
- Fixed a bug that could have caused some error messages to always be displayed in English instead of the current application language. (#8946)
- Fixed a bug that caused direct to initially not be aware of an active connection under specific conditions, so that the application icon remained gray. (#8957)
- Prevented a rare case of the application menu containing two help menus. (#8964)
Changes in 4.1.5 (v126.127)
|January 13, 2016
- Fixed a regression of direct 4.1.2 that caused the ABDialer plugin (for dialing from Contacts.app) not to work. (#8290)
- Fixed a bug that caused an unversioned ABDialer plugin to be included in the release. (#8291)
- Removed superfluous files from the application bundle.
Changes in 4.1.4 (v126.126)
|December 22, 2015
- Fixed a bug that caused direct to display an initial license warning even though a license is available. (#8243)
Changes in 4.1.3 (v126.125)
|December 21, 2015
- Bugfix to prevent a direct 3 license warning from being displayed in license management panel when it shouldn't be displayed. (#7489)
- Postponed the initial license check until all connections have been initialized and have reported to be ready for the license check. (#7498)
- Improved installation process of the Contacts Dialer plugin. (#8173)
- Fixed a bug that caused the version number of the Contacts Dialer plugin not to be correct. (#8177)
- Updated codesigning to v2 for Gatekeeper support in current OS X releases. (#8187)
- Various minor bug fixes and code quality improvements.
- Added debug output.
Changes in 4.0.6 (v126.118)
|August 22, 2014
- For most TeamCall connections, incoming transferred calls will now also be indicated by a screen popup (with the caller ID of the original caller). This depends on the specific signalling received from the phone systems, so this may not appear in all cases. (#7126)
- Fixed a bug that could cause direct to hang in specific cases with TeamCall connections where a network problem or a configuration error prevented a successful connection to the CTI server. (#7025)
- direct connection plugins located next to the application will no longer be loaded. (#7135)
- The default name of new connections now includes the connection type (TeamCall or Tiptel USB). (#6711)
- The connection list selection in the direct preferences no longer unnecessarily jumps to the top of the list when a connection is removed. (#6668)
- Deactivated connections will no longer receive a keyboard shortcut. (#6886)
- Minor update of handling of direct 3 licenses. (#6661)
- Minor license management panel improvements. (#7253, #7254, #7255)
- Fixed errors in debug output. (#7256)
Changes in 4.0.1 (v126.113)
|December 13, 2013
- Fixed a bug that could cause the application to crash in the demo mode. (#7038)
- Removed superfluous debug and error output. (#7037, #7039)
- If licenses are due to expire soon or if a connection is in demo mode, this is now displayed when the application is started. (#6608, #6921)
Changes in 4.0 (v126.112)
|December 6, 2013
- Rephrased the connections preferences option "Include area code when making local calls" to make its function clearer. (#7030)
- Minor updates to help pages.
Changes in 4.0 Release Candidate 4 (v126.111)
|December 3, 2013
- Fixed a bug that prevented opening of the preferences in the english language version. (#7026)
Changes in 4.0 Release Candidate 3 (v126.110)
|November 29, 2013
- Fixed a bug that caused dialing via a Tiptel phone to fail in some situations. (#7024)
Changes in 4.0 Release Candidate 2 (v126.109)
|November 28, 2013
- Fixed a rarely occurring app crasher related to AppleScript calls. (#7004)
- When updating the Contacts app dialing plugin, direct will now not only remove recent old versions of this plugin, but ancient (pre 2006) versions as well. (#7016)
- When a built-in AppleScript is selected, this selection will now remain valid even if direct is moved. (#7020)
- Fixed a bug that caused a wrong version of the example script
AppleScript Test.scptd to be included. (#7018)
- Fixed wrong output in the example script
AppleScript Test.scptd. (#7021)
Changes in 4.0 Release Candidate 1 (v126.108)
|November 27, 2013
- Major improvements of handling of connection loss, both when sleep mode is and is not involved. (#5109, #5122, #5570.1, #5570.2, #6235, #6864)
- Fixed a potential race condition in telephone connection establishment.
- Fixed potential deadlock after loss of CTI server connectivity. (#6464)
- Prevented potential double initialization of connections, which occasionally led to non-functioning connections. (#6610)
- Improved connection establishment to more robustly deal with intermittent connection failures.
- Fixed sporadic app crashes that were observed after wakeup from sleep (mostly in cases with multiple configured connections). (#6209)
- Safeguarded against hypothetical problem where search operations that were aborted e.g. due to failed parameter validation could have resulted in permanently high processor load.
- Fixed a regression that caused search operations to result in permanently high processor load.
- Fixed a problem where a caller name was not resolved if the LDAP connection was closed by the server while the search was being executed.
- Fixed regression in handling of expired search cache entries. (#6236)
- Fixed crash after LDAP server timeout.
- Fixed crash after typing the left arrow key when the search string was empty.
- Fixed display problem (empty search results table was visible as a two pixel high element).
- Improved handling of LDAP configuration changes as well as operation without activated LDAP search.
- Fixed LDAP search bug that caused an empty search results list to be cached if the LDAP connection was aborted during the search operation. (#6364)
- Fixed a bug where the search for nicknames and birthnames did not work in the search cache, leading to the effect that nickname and birthname searches sporadically did not return the expected results.
- LDAP connections will now be closed immediately when no longer in use. This fixes problems with some LDAP servers that close the connection before direct did so. (#6662)
- Fixed bug that could lead to LDAP search related crashes. (#6678)
- Fixed a potential bug that could have caused the AppleScript menu in the call handling preferences to remain empty. (#6896)
- The user-defined AppleScript will now only be called once per outbound call. (#6991)
- Error messages that indicate dialing failures will now always be printed and do no longer depend on debugging settings.
- Safeguarded against potential but very rarely occuring crashes.
- Fixed a few 64 bit compatibility issues.
- Fixed a number of potential bugs in handling of multiple threads.
- Fixed a few logging bugs and reduced debug logging load. (#6572)
- Fixed many localization issues. (#6543, #6544, #6546, #6547)
- Fixed a potential crash when a software update is manually triggered after a previous update had been aborted. (#5005)
- Safeguarded against potential crash upon wake from sleep. (#6626)
- Enhanced debug log output. (#6665, #6687, #6688, #6689)
- Fixed potential application crashers in cases of corrupt user defaults data. (#6860)
- Slight performance optimizations during start of system sleep and wakeup from sleep.
- Prevented a potential visual artefact in caller ID ghost window. (#6992)
- Many other minor bug fixes.
Changes in 3.3.4 (v126.63.6)
|November 26, 2013
- Preparation for the direct 4 update.
Changes in 3.3.3 (v126.63.5)
|July 17, 2013
- Fixed application crasher in handling of
- Added explanation of how to open ~/Library to "About Extras.rtf".
Changes in 3.3.2 (v126.63.4)
|May 26 2013
- Dialing via URL (
tel:) will now correctly decode the number from the URL, so that URLs with embedded spaces (encoded as
%20) will now work.
- Added support for direct 4 license keys.
Changes in 3.3.1 (v126.63.3)
|December 7, 2012
- The direct dialing service is now once again registered automatically upon program start. The user no longer needs to activate the service in System Preferences.
- Fixed a bug that caused the service menu localization to not always be used.
- Fixed 64 bit compatibility issues.
- Fixed a bug that occasionally could have caused direct to crash during logging.
- Fixed a bug that caused some software updates to not be recognized.
- Updated help pages and example scripts.
- Updated FileMaker example in the disk image's Extras folder to support FileMaker 12 and to include more documentation.
Changes in 3.3.1 Release Candidate 1 (v126.63.2)
|July 25, 2012
- Signed the application with the Apple developer ID code signing certificate for Gatekeeper support in Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8).
- Enhanced software update mechanism to optionally include system configuration information with software update queries.
- Workaround for bug in LDAP servers that cannot process LDAP search requests with "or" clauses. We modified all LDAP search strings that contain just one attribute to no longer use "or" clauses. All search strings with more than one attribute continue to use the "or" syntax, so in order to work on such servers, direct will have to be configured so that both name searches and number searches will only take place in a single attribute. (contact us for information on how to do this)
- Changed behaviour of application after having received a 'MakeCall to' command via AppleScript. Before, direct became active only when no other application was active, now it becomes active in any case (matching the behavior after a MakeCall command was received via Services).
- Changed initial settings so that caller ID will now be displayed by default, also increased standard caller ID display duration from 4 to 5 seconds. Use direct preferences to change these settings.
- Added workaround for a potential (and unfortunately quite common) direct misconfiguration where longDistanceDialPrefix or internationalDialPrefix do not start with localDialPrefix. Previously this would cause number conversion to totally fail, which in turn caused direct to not be able to dial in this case. Now, the number conversion would at least return something, even though probably not the number that the user expected. This at least allows direct to dial, so the failure mode now is much more graceful.
- Safeguarded against potential but very rarely occuring crashes.
- Made plugin loading more robust and prevented problems in accidentally loading non-direct plugins.
- Modified software update version comparison algorithm so that interim development versions are recognized to be newer than the latest official version.
- Fixed a number of minor bugs.
Changes in 3.3 Release Candidate 17 (v126.63)
|July 12, 2011
- The LDAP password may now optionally be taken from the system keychain instead of the user's login keychain.
- Added an option to prevent direct from modifying the LDAP password (via the user defaults key
- direct is now a code signed application. If direct has once been granted access to a keychain item (e.g. to the LDAP password stored in the system keychain), the keychain will grant access to updated direct versions as well, as long as they are identically signed. So access will not need to be granted anew for each new direct version.
- Fixed bug where direct in some cases completely stopped to do LDAP searches after the LDAP server had closed the connection. LDAP searches now time out after 30 seconds. This timeout value may be changed via the new user defaults key
- Reduced LDAP load by no longer searching for empty strings in a corner case where inbound calls were not detected as such.
- Prevented the LDAP connection problem alert panel from being opened multiple consecutive times.
- Contacts read from Address Book that have an organisation but no name are no longer displayed as "organisation name (organisation name)".
- Contacts read from Address Book that have an organisation but no name are now included in the dock menu.
- Contacts without a phone number are no longer included in the dock menu.
- Now uses custom phone number labels of Address Book contacts in dock menu and in the dial window's display of the last called phone number.
- Excluded fax numbers from being added to the dock menu entries.
- Prevented a crash after wake from sleep in a rare race condition.
- Fixed a bug that caused ghost window contents of multiple connections to overwrite each other.
- Fixed a number of other minor bugs.
- Added a number of minor debugging features.
Changes in 3.3 Release Candidate 12 (v126.58)
|April 5, 2011
- Implemented new central configuration scheme (see description in help pages). The previous, less advanced system is no longer supported.
- Added option to deactivate the built-in software update, e.g. to be used in managed environments (via the user defaults key
- Updated direct help pages.
- Updated internal structure of direct help pages, extracting the resources shared by multiple languages, so that they now are only stored once.
- Added a number of minor debugging features.
3.3 release candidate 4 (v126.50) (November 30, 2010)
- Added a potential bugfix for communication with TeamCall Express 2.0 for Mitel phone systems.
- Fixed a localization issue in Tiptel plugin.
- Updated Growl framework.
- Fixed various minor stability issues.
3.3 beta 42 (v126.47) (April 7, 2010)
- Added Sparkle.framework to the list of acknowledged third party software packages.
- Repackaged the application so that future software updates will no longer require an administrator password.
3.3 beta 41 (v126.46) (April 4, 2010)
- The ghost window for incoming calls no longer displays the connection name when just a single connection is configured.
- Connection preferences: the names of inactive connections are now displayed in gray color.
- Fixed our company address in the english language help file.
3.3 beta 40 (v126.45) (April 4, 2010)
- Added automatic software update mechanism.
- Updated direct help pages for multi-user configuration.
- Renamed direct's dialing service to
Call Number Using direct.
Send Feedback... menu item from direct menu to Help menu.
3.3 beta 39 (v126.44) (March 8, 2010)
- Fixed an application crasher that occurred in rare situations (mostly under Mac OS X 10.6) after TeamCall unexpectedly closed the connection to direct.
- Tiptel dialing speed has been increased and now once again approaches the speed of direct 3.2. To still be able to support older Tiptel phones, a new advanced connection setting ('slow dialing') has been introduced.
- Connection selection keyboard shortcuts now start at Command-1 (instead of Command-0) and are now limited up to Command-9 (additional connections will no longer have a selection keyboard shortcut).
3.3 beta 38 (v126.43) (December 15, 2009)
- Added setting to enable searching for contacts in recent Active Directory servers.
3.3 beta 37 (v126.42) (December 15, 2009)
- Fixed a second bug introduced in 3.3 b34: setting the address book group for display in the dock menu now also works again.
- Modified the color of deactivated connection preferences text field headers to make them more readable under Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6.
- Fixed a bug in LDAP search that could cause the application to crash after the connection to the LDAP server was lost.
3.3 beta 36 (v126.41) (November 30, 2009)
- Fixed bug introduced in 3.3 b34: the dock menu now once again contains the contacts from the selected address book group.
- Fixed an AppleScript type mismatch warning.
- Added debug facilities to investigate a race condition in AppleScript handling.
3.3 beta 35 (v126.40) (October 20, 2009)
- Added support for LDAP servers using non-standard ports. To configure, specify the port number in the LDAP configuration server field, separated from the LDAP server name/address by a colon, e.g.
- Fixed a bug where authorization in TeamCall connection settings did not immediately become effective in the user interface when using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
- Updated help pages to include information about services under Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.
3.3 beta 34 (v126.39) (October 19, 2009)
- The TeamCall plugin now requires authorization before the GUI controls of the settings of TeamCall connections are enabled.
- Added support for phone systems that require phone numbers to be specified in international format without a leading plus character or that expect phone numbers in requests to be specified in this format.
3.3 beta 33 (v126.38) (October 9, 2009)
- Fixed long standing bug that under certain circumstances caused the names of contacts in the Local Users list to be printed in the wrong character encoding. This only affected contact names with non-ASCII characters.
- Fixed a bug in the Tiptel plugin that caused the crashers reported by some users under Mac OS X 10.6.
3.3 beta 32 (v126.37) (October 2, 2009)
- Fixed a bug in AppleScript settings introduced in direct 3.3 b24 that led to the wrong script being used.
- Added workaround to allow new calls on connections that are marked as being busy (activate via user defaults key
AllowSecondCallOnActiveConnection). This setting is intended to be used in the rare case where the connection is being marked as busy by the CTI server, even though it actually isn't.
- Added debug facilities in an attempt to catch a bug that occasionally causes direct with a Tiptel phone to crash under Mac OS X 10.6.
3.3 beta 31 (v126.36) (August 31, 2009)
- This is the first public beta of direct 3.3 after a long series of custom versions made for our larger customers.
- direct 3.3 is the first release to support Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6).
- direct 3.3 no longer supports OS releases prior to Mac OS X Tiger (10.4).
Please use direct 3.2.4 if you need a version that runs under Mac OS X Panther (10.3.9).
- Contact search
- Address Book searches are now performed in the background. This leads to smoother operation. Also, direct no longer hangs when the Address Book does not respond.
- Improved quality of Address Book search results.
- Now also searches for birthnames.
- Improved search speed for slow LDAP servers (as well as for LDAP servers that return very large result lists).
- Fixed potential crashers in LDAP search.
- Added support for LDAP protocol version v3, using either v2 or v3 depending on the setting of the LDAP server.
- Added support for searching contacts in Microsoft Active Directory, using the various new hidden configuration options.
- Made LDAP search and result attributes configurable using hidden user defaults settings.
- Made LDAP string encoding configurable using hidden user defaults setting
- Switched LDAP search to a new algorithm that performs much better in most cases. Added hidden user defaults setting for reverting to the previous algorithm or for supporting customer-specific LDAP search query construction.
- Added ability to dial the hash character (#).
- Fixed a bug with the 'always include area code' setting that prevented direct from working in France (#155).
- direct is now a helper application for tel:, call:, and callto: URLs.
- Added support for settings without a local dial prefix (so far, only external calls are supported in such a configuration).
- Added support for settings where the number to be monitored by the telephony server differs from the direct dial extension number of the telephone.
- Phone numbers starting with
# will now always be interpreted as being in dialable format.
- Added support for cases where the telephony server or telephone signals phone numbers in a non-standard format (using new user defaults key
- Fixed a bug where internal numbers where not always recognized as such, which led to the wrong number being dialed in some cases.
- Added support for connection specific setting of the maximum digit length up to which numbers will be interpreted as being internal extensions (using the same user defaults key
LocalNumberLengthLimit that was and remains to be valid as a gobal default that - if set - pertains to all connections).
- Added support for phone systems that signal the caller's number in international format, but without a leading plus character.
- Connection Plugins
- Updated the non-TeamCall connection plugins to the bugfixed versions with correct
ILPluginCapabilities keys (TeamCall plugin had the correct keys all along). Bugs caused by the wrong keys include the inability to set some connection settings in certain connection plugins, e.g. in the Tiptel plugin.
- Added support for setting the format of phone numbers to be used in dial requests (using the new defaults key
- Added advanced preferences switch to activate sending own extension number to CTI server in international format instead of extension format (using the new user defaults key
- Prevented multiple erroneous exceptions, some of which could cause the Tiptel plugin to fail to connect to the telephone.
- Fixed number conversion bug that caused the Tiptel plugin to attempt to dial an empty string instead of the actual phone number.
- Added workaround to prevent dialing problems with some Tiptel telephones. This may slightly slow down the dialing speed.
- Added support for hanging up calls on Tiptel phones.
- Added iChat integration for adding phone state information to iChat status.
- Added HangUp AppleScript command.
- Changed handling of MakeCall to AppleScript command so that this no longer activates the application.
- Improved error logging for AppleScript execution.
- Brushed up sample scripts.
- Added new hidden special tab in connection preferences, allowing to manually add, remove, and change arbitrary connection settings (except for the standard connection settings). To enable this tab, set the user defaults value for
- Fixed bug where under some circumstances not all settings were saved when closing the preferences window after having switched preferences sections.
- Modified settings are now no longer verified or saved when application is being shut down while preferences panel is open.
- Enabled optional central configuration. This is documented in the system administration documentation within the Extras folder on the direct disk image.
- All disabled connection setting fields are now hidden instead of just being deactivated.
- Improved handling of connection preferences when no connection is selected to now reliably deactivate all connection preferences GUI elements (some elements used to remain activated in this case).
- The connection preferences Server tab will now be removed for those connections that do not need it.
- Made major improvements of Bonjour reliability, including fixes of several potential crash bugs, one of which could even have been triggered remotely.
- Experimentally changed call hang up hotkey from Esc to Alt-Esc, and made it application global in the process, i.e. it now should work regardless of what you're currently doing in direct. We may return to using Esc in the final release.
- Improved display of incoming calls without or with unknown numbers.
- Improved display of entries in dock menu.
- Improved handling of location changes and of intermediate network disconnections (e.g. on portable computers).
- Improved Growl support.
- Added integration examples to the disk image.
- As well as many additional small improvements and bug fixes, including fixes for various application crashers.
3.2.4 (v113.12) (September 18, 2006)
- Fixed a condition where a Tiptel telephone wouldn't dial.
3.2.3 (v113.10) (July 26, 2006)
- Added some missing german localizations.
- Fixed some event firing issues with Tiptel phones.
- Fixed a condition where only the first call per application launch was signalled.
3.2.2 (v113.7) (July 11, 2006)
- Reimplemented AppleScript functionality to support both compiled and plain text scripts, and in order to make AppleScript support yet more reliable.
- Made sure that the call handling preferences script popup only shows valid script files.
3.2.1 (v113.3) (July 5, 2006)
- Fixed a condition where AppleScript scripts were not triggered.
3.2 (v113.2) (July 3, 2006)
- Added demo license mode: direct now also runs without a license (albeit in a somewhat limited form).
- Added Growl support.
- Enhanced ghost window, including the capability to display information about simultaneous calls coming in via different connections.
- Minor enhancements to Bonjour reliability.
- Fixed possible crash when loading AppleScript files.
- Minor enhancements to AppleScript reliability.
- Fixed bug where dock menu quick dial list could not be turned off.
- TeamCall® plugin
- TeamCall plugin now also supports TeamCall® Express. This vastly increases the number of supported phone systems.
- Tiptel plugin
- Fixed a bug where incoming calls on Tiptel phones where indicated twice.
- As well as a few additional small improvements and bug fixes.
3.1.2 (v100.2) (April 27, 2006)
- Extended demo license (TeamCall and Tiptel) until July 3, 2006.
3.1.1 (v100.1) (March 24, 2006)
- Extended demo license (TeamCall and Tiptel) until April 25, 2006.
3.1 (v100) (February 5, 2006)
- First universal binary version of direct and all plugins (PowerPC and Intel).
- Fixed bug where ghost window was shown for outgoing calls.
- Added dial preferences option to always dial the area code.
- Minor bug fixes in german language help files.
- Fixed wrong display of Bonjour call state after a call transfer.
- Fixed a possible cause for some Bonjour display problems.
- Improved performance by caching local user pictures.
- Fixed a bug where Bonjour users were not shown.
- Fixed a condition where call transfer would lead to a flickering Bonjour status display.
- Made network data transmission non-blocking.
- Better handling of sleep mode in Bonjour status.
- Eliminated memory leaks.
- Fixed two application crashers.
- Fixed a bug where call states were not shown.
- Plugins will no longer be loaded twice.
3.0.2 (v92) (November 28, 2005)
- Fixed potential app crasher in Bonjour status update.
- Tiptel plugin
- Added device popup in 'Advanced' section of Tiptel plugin preferences.
- Workaround for app crasher in Tiptel plugin.
3.0.1 (v88) (November 1, 2005)
- Minor bug fixes in english language help files.
3.0 (v86) (October 31, 2005)
- direct now requires at least Mac OS X 10.3.
- direct is no longer licensed via TeamCall® Server. It now requires its own license.
- Support for phone switches and telephones
- The most important new feature of direct 3 is the modular plugin architecture to connect to telephones and phone switches of various vendors.
- In addition to the TeamCall plugin, there is a new Tiptel plugin supporting Tiptel telephones.
- Major improvements in stability and accuracy of the display of the status of the local direct users.
- When a call ends, the new cleared handler is called.
- As well as many more small improvements and bug fixes.
2.1 (v71) (July 17, 2005)
- Various minor useability enhancements, including:
- If direct is reactivated using command-tab, list of found contacts pops up again if it was already open before user switched to another application.
- Using service menu entry makes direct frontmost application.
- Changing selected number updates number text field in lower right of main window.
- New call is immediately selected in called contacts list.
- Organisation is displayed in name field after contact selection.
- Dial window remains key window when local users window is opened during application startup.
- Moved persistent call history and adaptive search results database from preferences to separate files.
- Incoming calls
- Call popup window includes photo of caller, taken from Bonjour, the local address book, or from local or networked image folders.
*-character is no longer stripped from number before dialing.
- LDAP searches are now performed in the background. This leads to smoother operation. Also, direct no longer hangs when the LDAP server does not respond.
- Added support for LDAP authentication.
- Call history
- New menu item to show/hide call history.
- Duplicate entries are removed from called contact list.
- Contact information can be copied from called contact list.
- The height of the expanded call history can now be set via user defaults (for the present this must be done using the shell, as there is not yet a setting in the preferences window):
defaults write de.ilink.direct CalledContactListDisplayLineCount 15
- Dock menu
- The default name for address book group shown in dock menu is now 'direct'.
- A number of bugs have been fixed, some of which might have caused direct to crash.
2.0 (v58) (June 3, 2004)
- direct no longer supports the Mac OS X 10.1 address book and now requires at least Mac OS X 10.2.
- User interface
- Windows have a brushed metal texture.
- Separate icons for the different phone number types.
- Search results now contain just one line per contact. Multiple numbers of a contact are no longer displayed in separate lines, but instead in a single line using phone number icons.
- New search engine: the search adapts to your habits, the people you call most frequently are automatically preferred. The adaptive search not only works for contacts, but also between the different numbers of a contact. The preferred number is automatically pre selected.
- The search now also finds Mac OS X address book entries with user defined phone number types.
- Calls can be ended with the escape key.
- The call history is persistent (i.e. its entries are still available after the next program start).
- Dock menu
- The dock menu works again (now under Mac OS X 10.2 and 10.3).
- Rendezvous (now called: Bonjour)
- Display of a list of all direct users in the local network (with photo and name).
- Optional broadcast of your phone state to the other direct users.
- Pick-up of calls that are ringing at the phone of other direct users.
1.1 (v37) (October 12, 2003)
- Incoming calls
- Added handling of incoming calls.
- direct searches the Mac OS X address book and an LDAP server for the name of the caller.
- The name or phone number of the caller is displayed in a semi-transparent window.
- Added AppleScript suite: direct can now be accessed via AppleScript.
- Added automatic triggering of AppleScript programs by telephone events: direct can access other applications.
1.0.1 (v26) (June 28, 2002)
- Fixed some typos in the english language help and readme file.
- Fixed wrong URLs in help index pages.
1.0 (v25) (June 26, 2002)
- First public release for Mac OS X.
- Uses ilink TeamCall® Server for dialing.
- Access to the user's Mac OS X system address book, supporting both Mac OS X 10.1 and the Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar Developer Preview.
- Access to a central LDAP directory server for phone number lookup.
- Service to dial phone numbers from arbitrary applications.
- User definable quick dial list in the dock menu.
- Smaller and more intuitive GUI.
0.1 to 0.95 (1992-1995)
- Software for Nextstep/Openstep in combination with mix®, the telephone, voice mail, fax, and modem combination system for Next Computer and Openstep PCs.
- Access to the Nextstep system address book, incl. GUI to view and edit the addresses.
- Dialing of phone numbers using a attached mix®.
- Service to dial phone numbers from arbitrary applications.